Feline Sample Collection Procedure
Cells from inside the cheek (buccal cells) are collected via a quick and painless mouth swab. Free sample collection packs are sent to owners, enabling them to collect their own samples.
Swabs are stable at room temperature and therefore can be returned to our laboratory by regular post.
1. Prior to sample collection, ensure that the cat has not nursed or had anything to eat or drink for at least 15 minutes.
2. Sample one animal at a time. If samples are to be collected from several animals in the same session, complete the process for one animal before beginning the next.
3. Use two brushes to collect cheek cells from each animal. Label each animal with the name of the animal being sampled.
4. Remove and hold the brush by its handle.
5.Place bristle head against the inside of the cheek and gums, twirl vigourously for 5 seconds
6.Wave the brush in the air for several seconds to air dry before inserting into the labeled envelope. Repeat steps using the second brush on the opposite cheek.
7. Place all sample envelopes (containing sample brushes) and completed submission forms into a suitable envelope and mail to
ORIVET GENETIC PET CARE
PO Box 110
Please note: If sending samples from overseas countries please write on the outside of the envelope "AQIS Import permit number IP 13017917 Non-Pathogenic Feline DNA Samples Enclosed".