Feline Sample Collection Procedure
Cells from inside the cheek (buccal cells) are collected via a quick and painless mouth swab. Free sample collection packs are sent to owners, enabling them to collect their own samples.
Swabs are stable at room temperature and therefore can be returned to our laboratory by regular post.
1. Prior to sample collection, ensure that the cat has not nursed or had anything to eat or drink for at least 15 minutes.
2. Sample one animal at a time. If samples are to be collected from several animals in the same session, complete the process for one animal before beginning the next.
3. Use two brushes to collect cheek cells from each animal. Label each animal with the name of the animal being sampled.
4. Remove and hold the brush by its handle.
5.Place bristle head against the inside of the cheek and gums, twirl vigourously for 5 seconds
6.Wave the brush in the air for several seconds to air dry before inserting into the labeled envelope. Repeat steps using the second brush on the opposite cheek.
7. Place all sample envelopes (containing sample brushes) and completed submission forms into a suitable envelope and mail to
Animal DNA Laboratory
PO Box 13313
MELBOURNE, VICTORIA 8010
Please note: If returning samples from overseas Countries please place in self-addressed envelope. If not in self-addressed envelope it must have the Customs permit number written on the outside.